June 11, 2011

Dime in the bag

Jim and I celebrated our 10th anniversary this week. In some ways it's hard to believe we've been married for 10 years. In other ways I feel every moment of it, since it has been so eventful and so much has changed!

Some stats, in no particular order:

  • We've moved 8 times and lived in 3 different states.
  • Jim has had 8 different jobs, two different side/temporary jobs (that I can remember) and done some freelance stuff.
  • I've had 6 different jobs and two temporary jobs.
  • We've had two kids.
  • I went back to school and got my bachelor's degree.
  • We've been to 11 states to visit and gone through a few more on the way to those destinations, mostly by car.
  • We've been to concerts, the symphony, museums, lectures, weddings, graduations, national parks, mountains, lakes, oceans, parties, showers, baseball games (minor and major league), football games (NFL and college), and zoos, and gone horseback riding, site seeing, etc.
We would have loved to go on a nice trip together, preferably alone, but that wasn't in the cards for us. We aren't people who make a really big deal about most holidays-Valentine's Day, birthdays, etc. But we always try to make our anniversary special. Our marriage is very important to us and we want to celebrate it's inception.

This year, our festivities are all spread out, mostly due to our work schedules. On Tuesday we used a Groupon we bought a while back to go see a movie. My sister baby-sat the kids and we saw Bridesmaids. Very funny movie! It was our first date in over 5 months and it felt great to be out alone together. After the movie, we went to Baker's Square for an appetizer and some pie. And we relished the chance to talk uninterrupted by children.

Thursday the ninth was our actual anniversary. We both had to work that day. Thankfully, the kids were quieter that morning, so we got to cuddle and chill together before I went to work. When Jim got home that night, I had made some baked goods (Earl Grey Tea Cookies and Butterscotch Blondies, for those who are curious) for us to share and we gave each other our presents.

I had gotten the VHS of our wedding transferred to DVD for him. We watched it while we ate our treats. He got me a really beautiful print on a frame of a girl walking with Big Ben in the background and "London" written on the bottom. I LOVE it! We didn't spend much, but were both very pleased with our gifts.

Part three comes tomorrow. We found another baby-sitter and got another Groupon to go to a Peruvian restaurant downtown, in Wicker Park. We aren't sure what else we'll do, maybe go to the Art Institute for a while, since we've been in the mood to do that lately but haven't had the chance. I'll have to update that part later.

So, 10 years have passed quickly and slowly. I'm so glad I married the man I did, despite the frustrations that sometimes come with life and marriage. He's so good to me and loves me so much. I love him in a myriad of ways that form such a complicated web of connection that I don't think I could ever explain it or even fully understand it. Marriage is a wondrous thing! I hope and pray we have many decades left to perfect our relationship, support and love each other!

3 comments:

  1. When I first met you two, I remember after seeing the love you and Jim shared for each other increased my excitement to marry Mike. I have looked at your relationship with eyes of wonder and beauty from the first day I knew you. And I told God, "I want Mike and I to love like that!" And I often fall in love with Mike even deeper after spending time with you two. You guys serve and love so well. It causes a person to pause and notice those special little things in a relationship and give them the acknowledgement that they deserve. Mike and I are lucky to have you two as friends!

    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristen. That's really sweet. We love you both, and are constantly encouraged by your strength and dedication. You really are two of our closest friends, and we are lucky to have you.

    Thanks again for the anniversary wishes. Hope we see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! I remember the days you were together at Judson and days I stayed at your apartment for couple of weeks as it was yesterday! You two are one of people who has taught me how wonderful marriage is and now here I am!
    I am praying to be added on your next ten years list that your family visit us and our kids will play together in your list!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete