January 23, 2013

A few notes on kid things

1. Dora can't sing. How is possible that there was no one who spoke spanish and sounded like a little girl but could also carry a tune that could be found and hired?!?

2. Kids are hard wired to do the exact opposite of whatever is needed or wanted. Case in point: we had to get up and out of the house early two days in a row and both boys slept in. Today we could finally stay home in the morning aaaaannnnnd they were both up at 5:45.

3. I need to learn how to make boys be more sympathetic, if that's possible. Sometimes I think they've decided I'm an enemy to vanquish ("I shot you, Mommy!" "Let's wrestle.", tickle or kissing fights that are more fight than anything else). Unless they've just gotten hurt for the billionth time or are waking up in the middle of the night.

4. I've decided to be more intentional with how I dress them. If I had a girl, I'd pay way more attention to putting her in cute outfits. I should put at least a little thought into it with a boy because looking good does matter. I don't want them to be embarrassed by their kid pictures later in life!

5. It is a very bad thing to be a person who doesn't like to play games raising young children. It's hard not to feel like I'm an awful mother for almost always declining to play video games, board games, etc. But then when I play all I want to do is throw them out the window and destroy the game because of how frustrating they are to play with! (It should be noted that I don't like to play games much with anyone. It's just intensified with my kids.)

6. I've stopped caring about cleaning their rooms. Except when I'm tripping over everything.

7. The sound of a singing child is pretty much the most adorable thing ever. K has never cared much for music, but S is really into it! He sings a lot and we love every second of it!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for #5! I love to play board games and the likes. However, I get SO frustrated when the kids want to play a simple game like UNO and it takes 2 hours to play one hand. Jake and I have commented many times how hard it is to play games with little kids because the just don't "get it" quick enough to be enjoyable. Good news is, rumor has it when they tun 18 they are someone else' problem. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha, I love your list! The Stamm's are a big game playing family. I am not. I'll tolerate it but I don't really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete